The PFM came in five principal models, varying by cap and trim color. What we have here is the PFM I. The PFM models below are for your reference:
1) PFM I - Single color plastic cap and barrel, polished stainless steel clip and cap band, and palladium silver nib. The PFM I is the only model without the White Dot.
2) PFM II - Frosted stainless steel cap and plastic barrel, polished stainless steel clip and cap band, and palladium silver nib.
3) PFM III - Single color plastic cap and barrel, gold filled clip and cap band, and a 14kt gold nib.
4) PFM IV - Stainless steel cap and plastic barrel, gold filled clip and plunger cap end plate and a 14kt gold nib.
5) PFM V - Gold plated cap and plastic barrel, gold filled clip and plunger cap end plate and a 14kt gold nib.
NOTE: By popular opinion in the fountain pen community, the rarest colors are gray, blue and green.
This fountain pen cap and barrel are in magnificent condition with no chips, cracks, teeth marks or repairs. There are no monograms or personalizations to either the cap or barrel. The cap is stamped with, "Sheaffer Made in U.S.A." This Sheaffer PFM III measures 5 3/8" in length capped and 5 5/8" posted.
There is no wear to any of the trim areas and the Sheaffer White Dot is secured in the clip. I have cleaned, buffed, and polished the barrel, cap, and blind cap to bring back the vibrancy and to protect the material of the fountain pen. Installed a new rubber sac, o-ring, and point seal - all been replaced with correct reproduction parts. This Sheaffer Pen has been disassembled, cleaned and inspected for any defects before reassembling. The snorkel tube moves freely and draws ink as it should.
The 14K NIB has a Medium point measuring roughly .80mm when measured with digital calipers. I have kept the nib in uninked condition for the new collector.
This Sheaffer PFM III is a classic black beauty fountain pen. It is ready to write or just add to writing arsenal collection. I would consider this Sheaffer PFM III to easily grade in Excellent, New Old Stock, Never Inked Condition and certainly a collector grade piece that is ready to write with or add to your writing arsenal collection!